Protein is a macronutrient. It promotes muscle repair, reduces muscle soreness, and boosts glycogen storage. And it plays an important role in growth and development. However, protein is not a major energy source. And consuming too much protein can lead to weight gain.
Why We Need Protein?
- You strain your muscle fibres during exercise. So, consuming protein can help repair the microtears in your muscle fibres. You damage and repair your muscle fibres to make your muscle grow. This is how you gain muscle mass. Protein is essential to muscle growth and repair.
- Protein is also essential to the growth and repair the body tissues and cells. Protein is good for your bodily fluids, organs, bones, nails, hair and skin. That is why protein is important during the development period of both children and adolescence.
- Protein plays an important role in the production of hormones and enzymes, fluid balance, vision, immune system response and blood clotting. It provides the body energy for use or storage because it contains calories.
Related Post: Protein-Rich Foods That You Must Include In Your Diet
What Happens if We Overconsume Protein?
- Overconsuming protein can lead to weight gain. The body stores excess protein as fat and excretes the surplus amino acids. If you overconsume protein, you are more likely to eat too many calories. Consuming too many calories can cause you to become overweight or obese.
- Overconsuming protein can also lead to bad breath. Some people reduce their intake of carbohydrates and increase their protein consumption to reduce weight. However, they end up with bad breath.
- High-protein diets have been linked to an increase in urinary calcium excretion, which has led to speculation that a high protein diet may increase the risk of kidney stones, which are calcium and other substance deposits in the kidneys and urinary tract.
If you are unsure about your daily protein consumption, contact Transition Personal Training to get personalised diet plans with the optimal level of protein. Let our personal trainers in Perth help you lose weight and be fit. Transition Personal Training has the best gym in Kwinana, Western Australia.